Page 849 of 849 FirstFirst ... 349749799839847848849
Results 8,481 to 8,484 of 8484

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Having ridden bikes with 3-speed Sturmey-Archer hubs until the age of 26, it has never hurt my pride too much when I have put my foot down while climbing a steep hill. But in my youth I still tried to pedal up as much as possible on my 49-inch bottom gear.

When you lived in Flitwick, you may have been familiar with the road that climbs out of Lidlington: it has a black chevron on the old 1-inch OS map (Bedford and Luton) which I still have, although the sign at the top said "I in 8", and the chevron is not there on modern OS maps. Anyway, I could get up that without putting my foot down. Obviously there was no hope of pedalling up the 1-in-5 out of Bow Brickhill.
    Well shocked by you remembering I was born in Flitwick I leapt off the sofa, leapt on to my sturdy steed and pedalled towards Pateley Bridge so as to climb Greenhow Hill. Although Simon Warren states the total length to be 3500 meters the first 1500 meters contain 300 meters of climb, starting at 16%, with another 100 meters of climb spread over 2000 meters which feel like a relative rest.

I descended to the river through Bewerly, as I have before as well as ascended this way. When I first did this I recognised the single track S hairpin bend by a farm to be the worst road surface (and when descending most frightening) I have ever ridden on in my life, and on 25mm rims. Ever. But that was then and since then it has deteriorated. Since nobody would use the route other than to visit the farm I see no reason why any highways dept. will waste money improving the surface.

All that would do would be to encourage cyclists.

Anyway 40 miles,4000 feet of climb and a maximum speed of 40 mph. Neat.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 21-05-2024 at 10:39 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    A ride to the south-east today, via Swithland and through the middle of Leicester, then out to the east of the city. Up a 1-in-7 hill that I had never tackled before on the road from Scraptoft to Keyham; then another 1-in-7 climb on the delightful unfenced road (with 4 cattle grids) through the sheep pastures of Baggrave Park. Back home via Syston, including an interesting cycle path alongside the Barkby Brook, rather narrow where it goes under the railway bridges. 37 miles in total.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

But how many pint's?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    But how many pint's?
    About half a pint of water (yes, I'm probably not keeping myself well enough hydrated); and a chocolate-coated flapjack.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges