Thread: Pommie Panter

Pommie Panter

On Sunday it was the second running of this new race which is gets its name from the locals nickname for Youlgrave, the Derbyshire village where it is based. Organised by the recently formed Youlgrave Harriers the Pommie Panter is 6 miles and 950 feet.

The first mile is all uphill on the tarmac of Moor Lane but after that it is a nice route, mainly on footpaths over farmland with a couple of technical descents and a short boggy section where some runners managed to find a thigh deep spot. A bit more tarmac back through the village to the finish near the George Hotel

A scorching day for the 135 starters and the race was won by Oliver Matharu of Holme Pierrepoint Running Club in 40:30. The first woman was my pal, Joanne Mosley, 22nd in 47:59. I was 20th in 47:52 and 1st M60.

The first man and woman shared a giant, two foot long sausage roll cooked by the chef at the George, Aiden, who also managed to get his bulk around the course in 1hr 20mins. Rehydration was by way of J.W Lees of Manchester's Best Bitter 4%.

I also had the bonus of winning two £20 bets with two cocky, young local sportsmen who were convinced that a 65 year old, owd codger would never beat them. The closest was 9 minutes behind and his excuse was that he stayed up late to watch the Usyk v Fury fight. Guess what, so did I
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    On Sunday it was the second running of this new race which is gets its name from the locals nickname for Youlgrave, the Derbyshire village where it is based. Organised by the recently formed Youlgrave Harriers the Pommie Panter is 6 miles and 950 feet.

The first mile is all uphill on the tarmac of Moor Lane but after that it is a nice route, mainly on footpaths over farmland with a couple of technical descents and a short boggy section where some runners managed to find a thigh deep spot. A bit more tarmac back through the village to the finish near the George Hotel

A scorching day for the 135 starters and the race was won by Oliver Matharu of Holme Pierrepoint Running Club in 40:30. The first woman was my pal, Joanne Mosley, 22nd in 47:59. I was 20th in 47:52 and 1st M60.

The first man and woman shared a giant, two foot long sausage roll cooked by the chef at the George, Aiden, who also managed to get his bulk around the course in 1hr 20mins. Rehydration was by way of J.W Lees of Manchester's Best Bitter 4%.

I also had the bonus of winning two £20 bets with two cocky, young local sportsmen who were convinced that a 65 year old, owd codger would never beat them. The closest was 9 minutes behind and his excuse was that he stayed up late to watch the Usyk v Fury fight. Guess what, so did I
    Brilliant

On a similar note, i know a fellrunner (in fact a lapsed member on here), was a v50 at the time, who was told similar by his karate instructor.... so he took the instructor to the Breidden Hills race, where he promptly came stone dead last.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I am reminded of the trail race that I did at Staunton Harold last year, where three young lads were running together, most of the time a little ahead of me, although I did get ahead a few times. One of them faded in the last two miles; I finished ahead of him, but behind the other two. After the finish, one of them asked me, "Do you mind me asking, how old are you?". He seemed quite shocked when I revealed that I was 64.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges