Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lightning

Re: Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Brilliant!

I'd also suggest not running with an umbrella.
    Is this something you would do normally

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Is this something you would do normally
    You'd be surprised what I carry around in my bumbag

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    You'd be surprised what I carry around in my bumbag
    hee hee

Running in wellies??

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Poppins
    Brilliant!

I'd also suggest not running with an umbrella.
    But what if it's raining? You'll get wet man!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

This is one of my pet fears!

I got lots of advice on a previous thread about this, but just as many scare stories. The strike that killed a herd of cows earlier this year was a good example!

The best advice really is to descend quickly. If you feel your hair standing on end, that's the time to double over and get your backside higher than your head. A lightning strike is actually double ended, and a stream of electrons will go up from an object on the ground toward the bolt from the sky - it's when these two meet that you get a stike. Your hair standing on end is a good warning sign this is starting to happen!

Another thing worth bearing in mind is not to shelter in a cave or under a protruding rock as these can be a prime spot for arching effects as the lightning stike jumps across the gap.

I remember running past Chequers (PMs country house) in the Chilterns during a storm last year. My route ran alongside the terrorist proof iron girder fence and I kept wondering whether this would be an advantage by earthing any strike or whether it would just make on more likely!!

Yeah, you're so right, pet's can fear the lightening too!

Running back home, off the fell this afternoon, I had to pass through the upper allotment. It's quite a few hundred acres in size and more recently my only concern has been avoiding the cows and their calfs that appeared there last week. Today, I had the added thrill of running amidst a lighning storm. Ahh... the life affirming frisson of multiple jeopardies! Got me thinking, whether I should countinue the line I was on, which involved running for a mile or so parralell to the wire sheep fence, with its barbed wired top line, or run further out in the allotment, away from the fence, and stand out like... There were no other practical options (the herd had penned themselves in the far, lower corner, so were in the know).

I chose a compromise, and ran some 12 feet way from the fence, based on absolutely no logic whatsoever, but which quite evidnetly proved to be the correct decision (today!)
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Running back home, off the fell this afternoon, I had to pass through the upper allotment. It's quite a few hundred acres in size and more recently my only concern has been avoiding the cows and their calfs that appeared there last week. Today, I had the added thrill of running amidst a lighning storm. Ahh... the life affirming frisson of multiple jeopardies! Got me thinking, whether I should countinue the line I was on, which involved running for a mile or so parralell to the wire sheep fence, with its barbed wired top line, or run further out in the allotment, away from the fence, and stand out like... There were no other practical options (the herd had penned themselves in the far, lower corner, so were in the know).

I chose a compromise, and ran some 12 feet way from the fence, based on absolutely no logic whatsoever, but which quite evidnetly proved to be the correct decision (today!)
    Mmmh. I cycled home through a lightning/thunderstorm this evening from Blubberhouses Fell (ie high) pondering similar thoughts on roads somewhat empty of high sided metal vehicles.

I started counting the delay between the flash and the thunder and then concluded that actually wasn't a very reassuring calculation.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".