Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Future?

Forum Future?

I've noticed that the 'register' link is absent, next to the 'logon' link, and also that the link to the Forum on the main FRA page is now less readily apparent. Is the forum being closed down, slowly?
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I remember when the FRA website was refurbished a few years ago, I pointed out that the Forum had been hidden (whereas on the old website the link to it was obvious on the home page), but no-one took any notice.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

If someone would correct the link to the FRA logo that would at least improve the look a touch.Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 13.00.47.jpg
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

It does not help that the forum is absent from the main masthead but buried in a submenu of a submenu.

So, with the doors effectively barred, and now new members allowed...will the last old git standing please remember to switch the lounge lights off.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    The register link has definitely gone. Who's an admin on here now? Hopefully can be enabled again?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Text of an email that I have just sent to Olga Wood, in her capacity as FRA Communications Officer:

Dear Olga,

I’m not sure whether the following is within your responsibility as FRA Communications Officer; if not, please pass on to the relevant person (who should be the webmaster, but I can’t find any contact link for the webmaster on the FRA Website).

The FRA Forum is a mine of useful information, as well as a great venue for discussion on all matters relevant to fell running. However, when the FRA website was refurbished a few years ago, the link to the forum was hidden in a menu linked from the FRA tab. Worse still, the facility to register for the Forum has now disappeared, so although it can be viewed as a guest, no-one new can now register and post comments on the Forum.

Please urgently investigate and rectify the disappearance of the Register facility. Then put a link to the Forum on the masthead of the home page of the FRA website, so that it becomes easy to find.

Best wishes,
    Anthony Kay
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Text of an email that I have just sent to Olga Wood, in her capacity as FRA Communications Officer:

Dear Olga,

I’m not sure whether the following is within your responsibility as FRA Communications Officer; if not, please pass on to the relevant person (who should be the webmaster, but I can’t find any contact link for the webmaster on the FRA Website).

The FRA Forum is a mine of useful information, as well as a great venue for discussion on all matters relevant to fell running. However, when the FRA website was refurbished a few years ago, the link to the forum was hidden in a menu linked from the FRA tab. Worse still, the facility to register for the Forum has now disappeared, so although it can be viewed as a guest, no-one new can now register and post comments on the Forum.

Please urgently investigate and rectify the disappearance of the Register facility. Then put a link to the Forum on the masthead of the home page of the FRA website, so that it becomes easy to find.

Best wishes,
    Anthony Kay
    Thanks AK.

This rather reminds me of the story of our village Bank. First they reduced the opening hours and days. Then they reduced the services you could access when you visited the Bank - referring you to their branch in the local town (now this is also closing in the autumn). Then they gave notice that they were closing the Bank permanently, as the village branch no longer had sufficient footfall to justify its presence! Closure by stealth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closure_by_stealth
    Last edited by Mossdog; 19-06-2024 at 09:38 AM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Thanks AK.

This rather reminds me of the story of our village Bank. First they reduced the opening hours and days. Then they reduced the services you could access when you visited the Bank - referring you to their branch in the local town (now this is also closing in the autumn). Then they gave notice that they were closing the Bank permanently, as the village branch no longer had sufficient footfall to justify its presence! Closure by stealth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closure_by_stealth
    Unfortunately a common practice by the banking sector and not isolated to the rural community. My local high street in Birmingham has seen similar with the banks and building societies citing similar excuses.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Yes, the nearest branch of my bank is now a "Digital Branch", i.e bloody useless. Can't actually do anything there that you can't do online or on the App.

Went there for assistance when a large sum of money disappeared out of an account, and i couldn't get anywhere with the fraud team due to communication issues (the phone line sounded like their HQ was on top of K2 in a storm).... all they could do was give me a desk and a phone and put me back on to the fraud team in Asia again

This is a reasonable sized town as well.

The branch was recently closed for a month for "maintenance". I went in a week after they re-opened to pay in a cheque and all the machines were out of order
    Last edited by Travs; 19-06-2024 at 09:10 PM.