Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knee replacements and running

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Thanks Mr B
    Had a crack at the Lowther trail race on August 11th and felt steady, 2hr 36m, this was 5 mins faster than my 2022 time. Although slightly miffed that my (and many others I suspect) arch running metric Wendy D cruised past on the final hill.

Next up this month some shorter trail runs: Great Westmorland and Thornthwaite,so will be working on speed and then the Hadrian half marathon next month to increase distance. If all goes well I'm looking forward to the Really wild boar, a test for my knees on some rough downhill bog and tussocks.

Currently I do not see myself doing Borrowdale, the 3 peaks and many other fell races that punctuated my running year in the past. However I intend to progress and find the new edge of my envelope without pushing beyond too soon.

See you around too hopefully. Jim.
    Remember to go the right way at RWB, its very easy to head off too far left on the way down.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

That went better than I thought, especially after getting the number 13 at registration.
    How some races seem further than you remember them, this one did. But I still had fuel in the tank at the end.
    Avoided going over-revs on the final down hill road, running with Mizuno shoes to reduce impact made some muddy bits slippy but no drama.
    So 39 out 0f 66, 18 minutes slower than my 2018 time.
    No pain and could get out of the car on arriving home, things are definitely looking up.
    2 weeks steady before the Wainwrights around Whinlatter, my first try at it so hope not to get lost.

Yes I recall in the cloud one year it happened to the leaders.
    The opposite problem is dropping into the valley where it's heavy going.
    Take a due north track and it works fine, if lucky the farmer has been up with his quod and left the perfect groove.

Thornthwaite, what a little gem.
    Great organization by Keswick and hosts St Mary's Church.
    I came first last and kept telling the sweeper to go past, she was very patient especially when I took a creative route off Whinlatter Fell.
    My legs kept going without pain, so no worries there. The next day everything aches which is good that my knees are not hogging the limelight.
    Will see how I get on next year, definitely will be back.

Great. If you get any niggles or soreness lingering around your knee, try rubbing comfrey oil. It's particularly effective on connective tissue complaints.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent