Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterproof jacket

Re: what waterproof jacket?

Just bought a Karrimor Phantom Jacket II & a pair of Craghoppers Pakka Lite overtrousers (ladies size 12!!) Both have their own stuff sack and fit in my bumbag along with hat & gloves which is 9"x7.5". I only wanted the trousers but decided to upgrade by old Karimor packlite jacket which is OK but does not squash into a bumbag very well at all. I was surprised by Winfields which is where I got them - they have loads of camping/outdoor stuff in stock - a lot of cheap end Regatta and the like but other high end stuff as well at Internet sort of prices.

Waterproof jacket

I know we've been here before but I can't seem to see what was the outcome.

I've got a Montane H20 jacket and it's been out in showers before and been fine, until this morning. It lasted 30mins before I was soaking wet.

Now do I go for the OMM smock, will this last any longer? or the Hagloffs Paclite OZ, or any other suggestions?

It doesn't need to pack down to small as I seem to have enough of these, but to keep my dry when the weather is like it has been today.

Re: Waterproof jacket

I'm not sure you'll get a waterproof that would have kept you dry today.

In simple terms, the most breathable fully waterproof fabric is event, followed by paclite. In rain like today I reckon they'll both be soaking within a few minutes on the outside, so the breathability will drop right down. Any activity inside it will get sweaty quickly. The only way round this is if you never sweat...

I've never found anything that gets round this, fundamentally. Some are less bad than others but that's it.

Sorry to pee on your fire!

Ben B

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Same reply really, wet through pretty quickly. Had to keep moving to keep warm rather than relying on 'waterproof' (I think Widdy will confirm this!); so I suppose what I'm also asking is...... can a waterproof really keep you that dry in these types of conditions? (I suppose I've almost answered my own question.....no)

Gaz

I've recently bought the OMM Kamleika Smock and was out in it this afternoon for two and a half hours. I thought it did a great job of keeping out the rain and wind. I was a bit damp underneath it from sweating but it didn't seem to let any water in and I never felt cold, despite having to go a bit slower than I would normally.

I've been using a Mountain Equipment jacket in Gore-Tex Paclite ( single skin ) for the past 4 or 5 years. It is genuinely waterproof, but as I sweat like the proverbial pig, I can soon outwork the breathability. What I have noticed, is that with a good baselayer I can still be quite comfortable ( warm-ish ) even when wet with sweat; and that includes stopping to 'stand around' for a good spell, when my temporary cessation from sweating appears to allow the breathability of the jacket to 'catch up' with the situation.

I use a Rab event jacket and have been amazed at it's performance.
    It kept me dry during a 2.5 hour run today without any overheating or build up of moisture on the inside... highly recommended.

undercover moderator

Hopey, coud you deal with this and your chafing problem in one step?

Why not, pre-run, coat your naked body in a liberal smear (I'm thinking a couple of inches*) of lard? No other clothing needed.

It's insulating, it's waterproof, it stops the chafing.

And, if you agreed some sort of liposuction deal with us larger-framed fellrunners (I'll bring a bendy straw and a bucket to my next race), you could have an almost limitless supply of high-quality fat for any purpose you care to imagine.

My work here is done.

* stop sniggering, Brett

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    I've got a Montane H20 jacket and it's been out in showers before and been fine, until this morning. It lasted 30mins before I was soaking wet.

Now do I go for the OMM smock, will this last any longer? or the Hagloffs Paclite OZ, or any other suggestions?

It doesn't need to pack down to small as I seem to have enough of these, but to keep my dry when the weather is like it has been today.
    I use a Montane 200 or a Superfly event jacket depending on the weather.
    If its chucking it down I'd always go for the event jacket even though it weighs over twice as much (425g)

Its not just because the fabric is more breathable (this has no effect when running as nothing can get rid of the moisture thats produced fast enough) its because the fabric is heavier and resists the wind and rain more.

One of the problems with really lightweight fabrics is they get sodden with rain and wrap/stick to your body so any heat goes straight out.

Bill

I'm happy with a Marmot Essence smock. Used it on Skyline, Tanky's and MMs. Like others you can't stop sweat collecting in it (and I'm sweatier than the average runner) but with a thin helly underneath it's great in all but the worst conditions. very lightweight too.
    First run then beer. If no run then proceed directly to beer.