Thread: High Heart Rate - 226 BPM ???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: High Heart Rate - 226 BPM

I'm just back from being 'zapped' back into normal rhythm a week before my 'final' check since my last (third) ablation back in November.
    I'd started the Arnison Horseshoe on Saturday, felt rough and tired so pulled out at the top of the first field, however didn't feel the AF until an hour or so later back at home - HRM showed 130ish resting pulse - thought I'd be able to correct things, but couldn't! Anyway 25 hours later I'd been 'zapped' back into normal rhythm, note to self; try not to go into AF on Bank Holiday weekend again!
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
    I'm just back from being 'zapped' back into normal rhythm a week before my 'final' check since my last (third) ablation back in November.
    I'd started the Arnison Horseshoe on Saturday, felt rough and tired so pulled out at the top of the first field, however didn't feel the AF until an hour or so later back at home - HRM showed 130ish resting pulse - thought I'd be able to correct things, but couldn't! Anyway 25 hours later I'd been 'zapped' back into normal rhythm, note to self; try not to go into AF on Bank Holiday weekend again!
    Glad you're back to normal. I wonder whether you were feeling "rough and tired" because in fact the AF had kicked in for a while during your sleep the night before. I can find no correlation at all between my activities and bouts of AF, in the sense that AF can come on the morning after strenuous activity but also the morning after days of relative incactivity. However, I do find I sometimes wake feeling off after what was apparently a normal night's sleep, leading to under-performance the next day (seriousfor me as my performance is already pretty low!). I am considering the theory that I am having minor bouts of AF during the night. Maybe you too had an unnoticed episode of AF while asleep, and then another later in the day, and the fact that you attempted a race in between had nothing to do with it. Just an idea, but perhaps worth bearing in mind if you are feeling nervous about your next race.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Glad you're back to normal. I wonder whether you were feeling "rough and tired" because in fact the AF had kicked in for a while during your sleep the night before. I can find no correlation at all between my activities and bouts of AF, in the sense that AF can come on the morning after strenuous activity but also the morning after days of relative incactivity. However, I do find I sometimes wake feeling off after what was apparently a normal night's sleep, leading to under-performance the next day (seriousfor me as my performance is already pretty low!). I am considering the theory that I am having minor bouts of AF during the night. Maybe you too had an unnoticed episode of AF while asleep, and then another later in the day, and the fact that you attempted a race in between had nothing to do with it. Just an idea, but perhaps worth bearing in mind if you are feeling nervous about your next race.

Me too Chris Glad you are ok.

Feeling nervous just fuels it in my opinion. My WPW only kicks off when tired/run down and when my heart is slow. It very rarely goes off whilst exercising. I had a brief episode on holiday the day I was due to fly home but then I'm not a lover of flying.

[QUOTE=IanDarkpeak;357284]Me too Chris Glad you are ok.

My WPW only kicks off when tired/run down and when my heart is slow. /QUOTE]

Yes, it's ironic isn't it - I have spent years checking my waking HR hoping that my fitness activities were lowering it, only to find a low HR may trigger palpitations. Lucky I was never successful in getting my HR super low. I have also read warnings that athletes with low HRs are MORE at risk of DVT when flying. So any athletes about to fly should not think they can rest on their laurels, but take extra care to move around regularly and do exercises in their seats.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Thanks guys! It puzzled me why it kicked in, but I had a very tiring physical week and had not warmed up, a possible reason, but I hadn't thought about AF at night. Next week I have this planned 24 hour tape as part of the 'final' check, that should show any night time irregularities.
    I should also have mentioned that the doctor came out with WPW - the first time I'd ever heard of it - but when he saw my notes ruled it out quite quickly. Anyway I'll keep this thread posted on my outcome from next week, and may well suggest at our next FRA meeting a new trophy/championship for AF's, WPW's and any other HR problem athletes!
    A circular route mostly downhill