Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: 'Non-fell' runs... soft sods!!

Re: 'Non-fell' runs... soft so

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    Thats my point, MP3's did not exist in the 80's. As for using all senses then I would have throught it is very obvious that small fractions of a second can be the difference between running out on a lorry and staying put. Your experiences do not set a precedence for everyone else. I would probably be brown bread if I had not heard that a Land Rover had a trailer once.
    Walkmans were popular then though. I never said that mp3s enhanced performance - music does. I doubt that the Walkmans of the 80s enhanced performance of elite athletes given the bulk but it may have encouraged more people to get out running, thus strengthening the base of the performance pyramid:

If you can provide me with some firm evidence that listening to music whilst training is more dangerous then I'm quite prepared to admit I was wrong. However, at the moment, all I've heard is anecdotal 'evidence' and in your own words, 'your experiences do not set a precedence for everyone else'.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    Finally you know very well that the scientific research in this field is mainly carried out on non elite runner who cant necessarily motivate themselves fully, and therefore benefit from the music. Bekele suggestion is ridiculous.
    How many world records did Heile Gebrselassie broke whilst listening to Scatman? Ridiculous?

Also, Jos Hermans (Gebrsellasie and Bekele's manager) broke 2 one hour world records whilst listening to 'tempo tracks'. Music has also been used with boxers involved in world title fights - are they not elite level athletes?

non elite runner who cant necessarily motivate themselves fully
    That generalisation is ridiculous.
    Last edited by TheHeathens; 01-12-2009 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    And I bet some of them even play stupid games like..... golf!!!! . How can it be possible?

Mind you, why does the heathens have to really take every bleeding thread so, so, so seriously. This was a spoof wind up of road (shiver) runners right from the off and everyone should have joined in to insult them good and proper
    Feel free to slag them off Stolly - I've not defended them! I'm not taking it seriously at all and if you knew me personally, you'd know that. I actually found Rodders Rambler's post quite funny because he pretty much described me!

What I just don't get is the uproar about me saying that music enhances performance! It's just common sense and many elite sportspeople use music whilst training - Roy Jones Junior swears by it and he's not done badly has he!?

Some sports lend themselves more readily towards the use of music, but there's no reason it can't be applied to running.
    Last edited by TheHeathens; 02-12-2009 at 09:12 AM.

Ah, but I don't think the debate was about performance but more to do about not spoiling the enjoyment of communing with nature when fell running (at least, that was my point).......but I agree, if you're restricted to towpaths, MP3 away!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    I said music enhances performance,…. Maybe if they played music in the stadium during the races.....
    I am not knocking you Mr H, indeed I am interested in what you have said on the subject so far.

Based upon my (limited) experience including various sports performance courses/seminars/books:

Sportsmen talk about being unbeatable when in the “zone” where everything was somehow blanked out and the performance just happened.

I personally have experienced times in the odd race and training runs where afterwards I have thought that I ‘missed’ whole segments of the run.

There is a school of thinking that performance is best during ‘natural execution’ and it is detrimental to have to think about what you are doing. Perhaps the right music distracts you from thinking how your body is reacting to fatigue.

I do not know the scientific evidence behind the following, but I was always dragged up with the saying that mental strength is weaker than physical strength: It is your mental weakness that is holding you back.
    Frequent but moderate workouts on a consistent basis are the key to success

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Ah, but I don't think the debate was about performance but more to do about not spoiling the enjoyment of communing with nature when fell running (at least, that was my point).......but I agree, if you're restricted to towpaths, MP3 away!
    Well, in that case I agree. I'd much rather go for a run with someone else anyway; they get a little annoyed when I wear my mp3 player though

Roy Jones Junior swears by it and he's not done badly has he!?
    Not a very topical comment Only music he was listening to today was an LLcool J classic as he was sucking on canvas !

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    And I bet some of them even play stupid games like..... golf!!!! . How can it be possible?

everyone should have joined in to insult them good and proper
    Road runners are crepe!
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post
    an LLcool J classic as he was sucking on canvas !
    'Mama said Knock you out'?

'Mama said Knock you out'?
    Correct.The heathens is a boxing fan and will understand the link

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    Walkmans were popular then though. I never said that mp3s enhanced performance - music does. I doubt that the Walkmans of the 80s enhanced performance of elite athletes given the bulk but it may have encouraged more people to get out running, thus strengthening the base of the performance pyramid:

If you can provide me with some firm evidence that listening to music whilst training is more dangerous then I'm quite prepared to admit I was wrong. However, at the moment, all I've heard is anecdotal 'evidence' and in your own words, 'your experiences do not set a precedence for everyone else'.

How many world records did Heile Gebrselassie broke whilst listening to Scatman? Ridiculous?

Also, Jos Hermans (Gebrsellasie and Bekele's manager) broke 2 one hour world records whilst listening to 'tempo tracks'. Music has also been used with boxers involved in world title fights - are they not elite level athletes?

That generalisation is ridiculous.
    Just the type of response that I would expect from you, trying to close the argument off with science, or in this case the lack of on my part. Can you provide me with some evidence that shows that listening to music has zero impact of accident/incident levels? Its common sense mate. If we opened it up to the forum and asked 'who has had a near miss that would have become an accident were it not for hearing the hazard', I think you know what result we would get.

Elite athletes are fully trained to maximise their performace and push them selves to the limit through self motivation. Your a clever guy you must know that. So for me to suggest that less able athletes may benefit from external stimuli to a higher degree is not so ridiculous really is it.

Gebrselassie has not broken any WR when listening to music as he is not allowed to. You are getting confused with using the music to focus pre race. This is different and is more a tool for focus and motivation. Here I think we would agree.

Regarding your pyramid, if music helps the general population to be more active then I am all for it. Still stand by my point though.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step