Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Help Mega Blisters

Re: Open Blisters

I've got a few open blisters at the moment , normal plasters keep coming off when they get wet. I like the look of these Compeed things. Do you know if they sell them at Boots?

Failing that, I'll try normal plasters wrapped around with some masking tape.

Yes. About £4 for 6.

These two links might help, although they do focus more on prevention than cure.

http://www.sleepmonsters.co.uk/train...4&page_count=1

http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/Blister-Prevention.html

I used the tips from the first after getting two horrendous open blisters, one on each heel. I was able to run the Fairfield Horseshoe, the Coledale Horseshoe and walk the Newlands Horseshoe on the following weekend, even though the blisters hadn't fully healed.

My preferred solution is to use Mepore Dressings (about 20p each), wrapped over with M-Tape (athletic tape). Provided that you put the dressing and tape on at least an hour or two before, and wrap the tape over itself, they stay in place. I just do it as a matter of course before any fell race, and haven't had any blisters since. The dressings and tape (and my feet) survived Borrowdale!

Unhappy Help Mega Blisters

I started doing a lot more speed work and races while still doing 10,000/12,000 feet climbing per week at first this was great as I was getting really fit.

The problems started 4 weeks ago, very sore heels but no obvious sign of blisters. It turns out that blisters have formed but they are very deep under the skin, I thought they would be reabsorbed by the body but even with a week of rest they are still there.

On one of my heels it ripped, the skin underneath was not weeping and I had to cut the blister off the whole heel (it was very thick )

The other has an outline of a blister but it feels like dead skin sitting on top of new skin?
    I'm sure its just a matter of time before this falls off as well.

After about 3 1/2 hours yesterday the heel now without blister felt sore so I had to walk downhills.

I'm thinking of taping up to carry on training would compeed or second skin need to be put on before the tape?
    It'll only be once a week on a longer run as I'm sure its only a matter of time before the skin toughens up.

The bigger problem is the other heel, its going to come off a some time and until it does its going to feel sore after a few hours would a pumice stone to thin down the skin so it comes away faster be ok.

Has anyone had a injury like this before?
    Bill

Re: Help Mega Blisters

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Has anyone had a injury like this before?
    Not exactly but I did manage to get a deep blister infected by continuing to run on it and not letting it heal properly.

So watch out for any sudden increase in pain and redness, formation of pus etc (- at which point I recommend going straight for the doc and anti-bio's rather than trying to ignore it for several days!!)
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 12-05-2010 at 11:30 PM.

There is no pus or anything like that ie its not infected.

I could go on a 30 min run and not know they are there, but my feet will get hotter and hotter the longer I'm out until I can really feel it hurting.

I feel like the skin on my heels has seperated (at least with the heel that the skin has not come away) and the friction is between the new skin underneath and the remains of the old blister if that makes sense?
    Bill

I've had problems with blisters recently, and a combination of using compeed plasters to allow the blister to heal, and wearing twin layer socks (or a sock liner and your normal sock) to reduce friction seemed to work for me.
    Jon

Since I've been massaging my feet regularly with Hirschtalg* I've hardly had any blisters to speak of and certainly not any mega-blisters.

*It's made from deer fat and comes in a green tube. Don't mistake it for toothpaste.... There is a variety in a red tube but it's not as good.

manufacturer: Rohde
    ingredients: deer fat, beeswax, chlorophyl, vitamin E
    advantages: heals blisters and protects like a second skin

ps- I have no connection to the firm making this excellent product. I am merely a satisfied customer.
    Last edited by woodlander; 14-05-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: ingredients and ps

Thanks guys

Should add I had a minor foot injury (sore tendon top of foot) so had been wearing roomier shoes while increasing intensity of training but not reducing mileage that's how I've got these blisters, just looking for something to keep me going while I've got them.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by woodlander View Post
    Since I've been massaging my feet regularly with Hirschtalg* I've hardly had any blisters to speak of and certainly not any mega-blisters.

*It's made from deer fat and comes in a green tube. Don't mistake it for toothpaste.... There is a variety in a red tube but it's not as good.

manufacturer: Rohde
    ingredients: deer fat, beeswax, chlorophyl, vitamin E
    advantages: heals blisters and protects like a second skin

ps- I have no connection to the firm making this excellent product. I am merely a satisfied customer.
    you mean you slap this on like vas before you run, or use like a regular treatment, like linseed oil on a cricket bat?