Page 167 of 316 FirstFirst ... 67117157165166167168169177217267 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 3157

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Re: edale skyline

The up and down looks ok from the top of Ringing Roger but I've never tried it (and certainly won't on race day: balls not supplied).

Several people who are way better runners than me have stated they think the up and down might be up to five minutes slower, so that's good enough for me!

Besides, I love the section from Grindslow along the edge to Ringing Roger. It's a great way to finish a long race.

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    Several people who are way better runners than me have stated they think the up and down might be up to five minutes slower, so that's good enough for me!
    That's the point though: it's all runnable along the edge... I'm not quick on the levelish bits but I do pass people on the big climbs and descents. At the end of the LMV I made about 10 mins on a lot of folk I could barely keep up with on the easy first seven miles.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to recce it both ways...

Jim
    Jim Tinnion
    (Mercia Fell Runners)

http://midlands-fell.blogspot.com/

Ran the first half this morning. Was a little bit windy up there.

Going up Ringing Roger was difficult, across Win Hill was tricky, the ascent of Lose Hill was just runnable and I nearly got blown off my feet when I reached the Trig at Mam Tor.

Forgot to put my Wave Harriers in the car as well, so ended up running round in my old road shoes (was fortunate that it's been pretty dry lately). Think it mostly went ok - stupidly took the main path after you drop down through the woods behind Back Tor, instead of skirting round the grassy slope to Hollins Cross - gave myself another 50ft or so to climb.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Yes
    It should be more trodden now as the the HPM does the same route in reverse. from corner/ladder/gate/fence drop down to where the path comes in from hope SK 1498 8504
    If you're looking for it, you'll see it. It was obvious on Sunday when I went round.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ruck View Post
    Hi Paul.
    Is that your GPS route on the DP website?

Tim
    Yes, that one is mine, did the direct route for two reasons: the marshal said no one had done it yet and my feet were cramping on the flat so I wanted a change!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    Yes, that one is mine, did the direct route for two reasons: the marshal said no one had done it yet and my feet were cramping on the flat so I wanted a change!
    That's a very large change. Good running.
    There is no way I'll be doing that this year!!

as mentioned in the recce section I intend on heading out this Saturday morning. Probably getting into edale at 9.45ish. Any company would be welcomed!
    I might even give the down-and-up a go!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by jtinnion View Post
    That's the point though: it's all runnable along the edge... I'm not quick on the levelish bits but I do pass people on the big climbs and descents. At the end of the LMV I made about 10 mins on a lot of folk I could barely keep up with on the easy first seven miles.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to recce it both ways...

Jim
    It's a good point. I very much doubt I have the ability or the energy to do it in the race but it's daft I haven't tried it. I won't be doing anymore full weekend reccies, but will try a midweek short training session, edale->RR->Grindslow Knoll (along edge) and then try the up-down.

Yeah, if I can get up there again before the race, I thought I'd run up Grindsbrook Clough and round to the Knoll fairly hard (to simulate the effect of a longish time out) and then do the round the edge route (timed) to Ringing Roger, jog back gently to the Knoll and try the down and up (also timed). That should be a worthwhile work-out and give a fairly good idea of the time difference...
    Jim Tinnion
    (Mercia Fell Runners)

http://midlands-fell.blogspot.com/

I'm on the entry list but I won't now be able to run. Does anybody know what the situation is with regard to transfers? If transfers are possible does anybody want the place?