Page 208 of 268 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218258 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 2674

Thread: Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    The DUP have a lot to answer for; this could have been sorted out long ago if they were not so stubborn about their "Britishness" being effected. In the poll below 58.4% favour the Irish Sea border, that would include the vast majority of Nationalists and people who would not put themselves in either camp plus a significant minority of Unionists.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/n...stop-lbrjn0f5g
    Only in the same way that you are "stubborn" about your Irishness and yes, I can be stubborn about my Welshness
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

The DUP have a lot to answer for; this could have been sorted out long ago if they were not so stubborn about their "Britishness" being effected. In the poll below 58.4% favour the Irish Sea border, that would include the vast majority of Nationalists and people who would not put themselves in either camp plus a significant minority of Unionists.

Or the Northern Irish electorate could get it together and vote for the more rational SDLP and UUP. I really cannot get my head around why they have persisted to support the extremes of the political divide in increasing numbers more or less since Trimble and Hume delivered the GFA, especially as they vote for people who do not come together to govern the region.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

It would still be a very small minority (not significant minority) of unionists who would be in favour. From the article you have linked:

About 94% of DUP voters and 69% of Ulster Unionist voters were opposed to such a backstop, .

You always paint it as DUP intransigence when in fact the Ulster Unionists and others are also against the backstop. Upholding the Good Friday Agreement only seems to apply to the nationalists. For some reason it's not important when it comes to the unionists.

Perhaps a less confrontational approach by Varadkar and the EU might have paid more dividends. Why for instance was a trade agreement and the withdrawal agreement not negotiated in conjunction with each other? Why did Varadkar not continue Enda Kenny's more consensual approach? Is it because Brit bashing is far more popular politically?

Afraid they are voting based on what they are "against" as opposed to what they are "for". Each side does not want to split their vote and let the other lot in, so they are coalescing around two parties. That is what FPTP gets you.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Or the Northern Irish electorate could get it together and vote for the more rational SDLP and UUP. I really cannot get my head around why they have persisted to support the extremes of the political divide in increasing numbers more or less since Trimble and Hume delivered the GFA, especially as they vote for people who do not come together to govern the region.
    According to David Trimble, one of the architects of the GFA as you said, the backstop is a threat to peace and puts the GFA at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    According to David Trimble, one of the architects of the GFA as you said, the backstop is a threat to peace and puts the GFA at risk.
    According to Simon Byrne the Chief Constable of the PSNI and Drew Harris the Garda Commissioner Brexit and a hard border is a threat to peace and puts the GFA at risk.

Unfortunately both statements have a lot of truth to them.

According to Simon Byrne the Chief Constable of the PSNI and Drew Harris the Garda Commissioner Brexit and a hard border is a threat to peace and puts the GFA at risk.

Unfortunately both statements have a lot of truth to them.
    and the backstop would be against the GFA.

But as has been said, the UK certainly wouldn't have a hard border.

So in my opinion, we should just leave and set up the alternative arrangements (should have started it two years ago) and prove that it can be done.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

and now see if the Tories increase their poll lead. I think they might
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Hilarious watching the remain BBC media running around like dogs with two dicks. All saying that no one expected this. I did, what else were remain supreme court judges going to do? Still all pissing in the same pot.
    I bet Corbyn still won't agree to a General Election, because he'll lose by a bigger margin now.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I reckon he'll appeal to the European Court. They'll give him proper justice.