Page 252 of 357 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262302352 ... LastLast
Results 2,511 to 2,520 of 3570

Thread: Coronavirus

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CL View Post
    Has it crossed your mind Mike that some of the vulnerable would rather take their chances with Covid than live in a society that insists on locking people.
    My sentiments exactly

Master
    Has it crossed your mind Mike that some of the vulnerable would rather take their chances with Covid than live in a society that insists on locking people down?
    But they are not just taking their own chances, they are taking other people's chances as well - if they could not infect anybody else during the course of their illness, then I would of course have no objection to letting them take risks.

Master
    Has it crossed your mind Mike that some of the vulnerable would rather take their chances with Covid than live in a society that insists on locking people down?
    Amen to that there is one right here
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    But they are not just taking their own chances, they are taking other people's chances as well - if they could not infect anybody else during the course of their illness, then I would of course have no objection to letting them take risks.
    seconded
    ....it's all downhill from here.

If you are one at risk, just stay home. Quite simple.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    which shows a complete lack of understanding of the situation.
    Simple is as simple does.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    seconded
    Are you guys suggesting that all vulnerable people are selfish and self centered or may be thick or something

and derserve to be placed in into a situation where mental illness is a more likely outcome
    The older I get the Faster I was

To borrow from Ben Goldacre again, I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that. What would your simple solution be for people who live in a care home of some sort, or who live in their own home but who need regular visits from a carer or nurse? How can they protect themselves from the virus being brought into their homes?

It seems to me that anyone who thinks there is a 'simple' solution to this crisis really hasn't understood the problems we're facing.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Are you guys suggesting that all vulnerable people are selfish and self centered or may be thick or something

and derserve to be placed in into a situation where mental illness is a more likely outcome
    no.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post

While I can see the logic in what Mike T is saying, I do worry that the cure may be worse than the disease [or, to be pedantic, the prevention measure may be worse than the problem being prevented]. Thinking back to when I was a first-year student, if I had been locked in my hall of residence for 14 days, they would probably have been scraping the remains of my body off the pavement below my room window before the fortnight was up. I won't be surprised if there is some serious disorder in some universities within the next week or two.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges