Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Illiotibial Band Syndrome ITBS

Re: Iliotibial Band Syndrome??

There are a couple of stretches you can do on the IT band. they quite hard to describe by text, especially so close to bed time! PM me tommorrow, and I'll give it a go.

I can recommend a cracking physio in newcastle, who sorted this injury out for me. He ran his elbow and all his body weight along the IT band for about 2 mins (excruciating pain!) and gave me 3 stretches. Never suffered with the injury again!

Thanks very much.... I have one of these rollers (forgot all about and stuffed it in a cupboard after a physio recommended i get one about three years ago)! Just had a go _ ouch! _ now I know why it went in the cupboard. Still off to the physio though...

lunesdale

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
    Was wondering if anyone could help/advise?? I think I might have this (a sharp pain on outside of left knee that kicks in after about 16-plus miles and reduces me to a hobble, and then feels fine as long as I walk).
    Are there any exercises/weights I can do?
    Do I forget about trying for the Fellsman this year?
    Cheers, Ian
    Yes,i have the same,i have found that a neoprene knee support is the answer for me,after resting it i found it was fine till upping milage.
    With the support i get no trouble at all with i.t. ! Its the cartilage ,foot and i think piriformus ligament[just under yer arse] thats the trouble !!
    If i ever forget to put the support on,the i.t. reduces me to a walk as well,but is fine next day.
    Strange but true.

Give one a spin,nohalmdun.

ITB Syndrome?

Hi All,not been on here for a while,wondering if anyone can help me out,

After suffering with Plantar Fasciitis in my left foot for 5 months and not running pretty much at all during that time I finally got over that and was back building up very gradually again for about 2-3 weeks when during a run my right knee started hurting on the oustide of my knee cap towards the bottom of quads,it is quite sore to touch and after about 10 minutes of running it is too much to bear and i have to stop,walking isn't muchgood either,downhills especially so. Been stretching my Quads and Hamstrings and using the foam roller for about 2 weeks now but doesn't seem to be getting any better

Any Tips? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Getting very frustrated and stressed out!

Cheers
    Andy

Master

Re: ITB Syndrome?

Could easily be ITB syndrome - do some ITB stretches and get fit on the bike, assuming that doesn't hurt. Have you changed shoes to try to help your plantar fasciitis? If so you might need to do at least some of your running in your old shoes until this settles.

Changed my road shoes from neutral to supportive but haven't actually tried running on the roads,my fell and trail shoes are still the same ones (x Talon 212's and Roclite 320's) Will try the bike,see if it helps

Thanks

Hi Andy-long time no see my friend!

I got exact symptons a few years ago now-it put me out for about 8 weeks-mainly because i went to physio and he did his job but i tried running again too soon!

I had intensive massage and ultrasound-now way could i have stretched it out on its own mate. My advice is to go to a good physio-there is a thread somewhere with some great stretches.

Even now Andy, after a run i still do various stretches-piriformis being one of them. Ive not had any trouble since-its a shortening of the tendon if i remember and the friction of it rubbibg on you kneecap causes the swelling and hence the pain. I tried running through it as you have done and im telling you there is no bloody chance!

It can be sorted-but patience is required. As for cycling-if it doesnt cause you pain then thats great. Hope this helps.

Baz
    Still too heavy to run

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Baz View Post
    Hi Andy-long time no see my friend!

I got exact symptons a few years ago now-it put me out for about 8 weeks-mainly because i went to physio and he did his job but i tried running again too soon!

I had intensive massage and ultrasound-now way could i have stretched it out on its own mate. My advice is to go to a good physio-there is a thread somewhere with some great stretches.

Even now Andy, after a run i still do various stretches-piriformis being one of them. Ive not had any trouble since-its a shortening of the tendon if i remember and the friction of it rubbibg on you kneecap causes the swelling and hence the pain. I tried running through it as you have done and im telling you there is no bloody chance!

It can be sorted-but patience is required. As for cycling-if it doesnt cause you pain then thats great. Hope this helps.

Baz
    I had the whole winter out with a hip problem that was hard to pin down at first as the pain kept referring to diffent points in my thigh, hip and lower back. Seems in the end to have been an ITB problem. I paid for intensive massage from a real hands on physio and the massage of the ITB was the most painful thing I have ecver experienced. However it really helped to free it up and relax it and I have managed to get back running again now. Even did OCT on saturday and apart from some lower back pain again things seem to be good now. Dont give up with the foam roller but it is really difficult to apply the pressure on yourself that a physio or sports masseur will inflict upon you. Pay up and experience the pain!!

right, lets see if it works this time (just posted and it didnt like it)

Bit of a bummer getting ITBS straight after plantar fasciitis- though you did mention that you havent changed your shoes... that might be an issue

ITB syndrome is generally caused by the piriformis (and 5 other deep lateral rotators) not doing their job properly. Because they arent pulling their weight, the ITB kicks in and literally tries to hold the leg and hip in the right place as you run. so a tendonous band is trying to do the same job as 6 muscles should be.
    hence why it hurts so much.
    (there are other issues involved, but thats the easiest to explain on here).

As the other guys are saying, Physio or massage is the way forward. Foam rollering is good, but you need to also look at piriformis and the tfl (not transport for london, but tensor fascia latae- the muscle that actually attaches to the ITB)
    Have to say I hate massaging ITBs as I know how damn freaking painful it is- but sometimes it has to be done.
    if a physio just does that and doesnt look at the surrounding issues, really, you should be going to a different physio as they are dealing only with the symptom, not the cause.

It may be that you need new shoe, it may be that you need to stretch out some, and strengthen other muscles around your hips, and you may well need a massage.
    If you're near Glossop area I might be able to help, if not- find another decent therapist near you. You only really get one body to mess around with.

Master

Zephr

Great response, and I can relate to al of the things you have said in the successful treatment of my hip and thigh. I too had to do a lot of work on the piriformis and strengthening other muscles in the area.